Thursday, April 21, 2011

Zoloft, Xanax and Prozac

After feeling extremely guilty for berating Zoloft and reading up on animal behaviour and psychology and concluding that by chewing my shoes my dog either a) loves me very much; or b) is bored; or c) needs more affection, I went to Amazing Pets to buy a nylon beef flavoured "bone" as an "I'm sorry" to my dog who probably doesn't even remember that he's chewed through 7 pairs and even left one outside the neighbour's house. Not one to waste, the shoes I'm wearing to work these days have got sand crab like holes in the left heel. Zoloft was happily chewing on his bone all night, the shoes were brought into the house and I thought problem solved. A happy dog makes a happy owner.

Unfortunately this morning my Pai Mau @ Brownie decided she wanted Zoloft's bone for herself and promptly took it away from him even though he's twice her size. Poor baby. He looked positively miserable, beseeching me with his sad little face to rescue his only non-shoe chew toy but when it comes to Brownie, there is little that can be done. In my over-sentimental personification of animals, taking the bone away from Brownie would be equivalent to putting her in an Old Dogs' Home. I'm in a catch-22 situation with guilt in both corners.

There is only one thing left to do. Buy another chew toy and try feel less guilty for the rest of today.

No comments: