Monday, October 18, 2010

Unhinged

As a general rule, songs are a display of emotion so to that end, I usually do not fault the song or the singer even if I may not completely agree with the lyrics. "Christian songs" however, especially songs that we are expected to sing as a congregation, is to me, more than a preference of selective emotion, but a declaration of the gospel and our Christian faith.

Please note that the following songs come from artists who have also penned other songs with excellent theology. This exercise is not intended to rubbish the songs out there or to diss the worship leader who chose the songs but an attempt to force us to listen to the lyrics and digest their literal meaning (even if the intention behind the lyrics may have been good) and not just head-bob to a good tune.

Based on the aforementioned stand, I find the following songs especially hard to stomach and sing because of the lyrics in italics:-

1) Above all (Michael W. Smith)
Contention:- As much as I dislike the phrase "like a rose trampled on the ground" because it reminds me too much of Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" from Batman Forever, the line I find most offensive is "You took the fall, and thought of me, above all."

Reason:- The lyics appear to mean that at the Cross, Jesus thought of me above all, not God the Father or Holy Spirit or His Will or His Name or His Glory or the Trinity. Humans have a wonderful way of making everything about them and/or centre around them.

2) Christmas isn't Christmas
Contention:- "Somewhere deep inside you is where Christmas really starts."

Reason:- I believe the work of a transformed life begins with God the Father electing, God the Son dying for the elect and God the Holy Spirit convicting. So no, I don't believe that "Christmas" in its Christian meaning begins deep inside me. Further, the Bible states, "No one seeks God, all have turned away." Even our hearts have turned away so no amount of fuzzy feelings Christmas presents bring can turn that stone heart around unless it starts outside us.

3) Majesty (Delirious/ Steve Green/ Jason Morant)
Contention:- "Knowing that I'm your desire."

Reason:- See (1) above. Me me me me me. This verse alone is enough to put me off singing in church.

================
I think three is enough for now. I don't know what I'm irked more by; drivers who don't signal or Christian songs with poorly constructed lyrics.

No comments: