Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Punctuate

You may or may not realize that I have opted to remove the punctuation suffixes and/or suffices (the Internet can't seem to make up its mind which plural is correct) from my blog title.

Note: If you're reading this from my Facebook notes, all my notes are automatically transferred from my blog.

I think if one is willing enough to avail oneself to competent written communication, full-stops should prove an adequate companion. Having said that, it would be an anti-climax for a writer to declare "Alas" in woe and not punctuate the emotion with a (!). Just imagine Isaiah deadpanned, in the presence of the Almighty, oscillating in a robotic buzz , "Woe is me. Woe is me." Buzz. Buzz. It just wouldn't work.

Disclaimer: I did say, "I think" and "should" instead of must. It is not to say that exclamation and question marks are not welcomed. I am not a punctuationist.

No comments: