Thursday, July 22, 2010

The lucky number

I missed who was number 44,444 on my blog. If you know it was you, pray tell.

Chinese people like the number 4 as much as Westerners like the number 13. "4" sounds like "die" you see. They avoid the number on cars, telephone numbers and house numbers. Should your car bear the number plate 4444 or 9994 or something similar to that effect, chances are you will be rammed into by a kamikaze mystique hell bent on fulfilling prophecy or you may suddenly discover a wide open road as other vehicles huddle on the curb avoiding you like the devil himself. "9" in Chinese, sounds like "very." You do the maths.

My mum sometimes tells me I'm asking for trouble when I flirt with taboo.

I don't understand. Maybe I'm just stupid.

People through the ages have been running scared of Death. Inventing things to postpone the inevitable torture of Death. Everything from hubristic science to Feng Shui speaks of man's inabilty to control, man's futile attempts to try and man's destiny to die.

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
~ Hebrews 9:27 ~

Even now, for some reason (or maybe I'm just in denial :p) I can't look a day past 28 years. I have romanticized morbid notions of being torn apart by a hungry lion (probably the influence of Beauty & the Beast creeping in) in the middle of Africa, even though the closest I've been to Africa is through the eyes of the Lion King.

Maybe I'm an idealist. Maybe, just maybe I am actually, stupid. Maybe it's a possible streak of bi polar running through. Maybe it's a masochistic element of a troubled mind. Maybe it's asking for help. Maybe it sounds like I've given up.

If Death were the end of the road, then yes, not keeping an eye out for Death with his sickle would be foolishness. But beyond Death, there is a bridge. A path beyond Death? Hard to imagine. But Death, he's one smart cookie. He keeps making scary faces at you so that you won't want to look at him; so that you won't be able to look past him and see that there's continuation after Death. The world sees Death wagging his ears and it quickly covers its face to hide from the horrible sight. For a lifetime the world walks in circles until Death claims his dues, bringing down the bitter sting of judgment, failure and damnation in a blood bath of regret.

It is easy to boast that I can face Death and win. The bravest of us dream of it. The smartest of us will postpone the duel. The strongest of us will go down fighting but they will go down.

But to some, a golden pass has been bought. To some a sign is given. And those to who the pass is given are told that there is a road beyond Death. To convince our minute minds even more, the Person who bought the golden pass has faced Death and won! He dances over the bridge... wait... He is the bridge. How can this be? It is hard to imagine. Harder to word. Hard to look past Death; he does his job very well. Hardest to believe that in the face of Death's terrifying horror, this golden pass is all I need. That trusting Jesus is all I need. So when I face Death and show him the golden pass, may I remember to say, trembling as I may,

"O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?"
~ 1 Corinthians 15:55 ~

So I echo the words of Charles Wesley, "And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Saviour's blood? Died He for me? Who caused His pain? For me? Who him to Death pursued! Amazing love! How can it be? That thou my God shouldst die for me!"
 
Having said ALL that, I think people would still frown upon me choosing 444 as my house number.

No comments: