Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Looking for a gift horse

People say, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." Without diving headfirst into Google or Wikipedia, I personally think there could be several explanations to this strange phrase. Here I'll give just two.

In case you didn't know already, one can tell the age of a horse by looking into its mouth at its back teeth so perhaps it means we shouldn't be sceptical when judging a person's goodwill and shouldn't always assume that there's an ulterior motive behind a generous gesture ie we shouldn't assume that the person is giving us 'the horse' only because it's worn out or old or useless.

The other explanation could be meant as a warning. Looking into a horse's mouth means, well, opening the horse's mouth wide and peering inside. Now, a horse may be vegetarian but it doesn't mean it can't take off a chunk of your face if it decides to clamp its mouth shut. I should know. I nearly had my finger snapped in two by my irresistably psychotic 'Prince Charming.'

Although I've never considered myself a claypot person (with the exception of Claypot Chicken rice, ditto the charred rice at the bottom when the rice is scooped out), Tenmoku Pottery boasts some pretty nifty pottery which includes magnets, various cutlery, vases and statuettes. I'm unabashed in saying that what really caught my eye however were their animal designs, namely the ones of the equine variety.

I am so well taken in by Tenmoku that I think everyone should have at least one figurine from Tenmoku to remind them to cultivate some antiquated luxury in their lives. I'll add a warning in advance; it does set one back a pretty penny but in my humble (but extremely biased) opinion it is well worth the investment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For another source of the phrase, look towards the Battle of Troy (also where we get the phrase "Trojan Horse")