Monday, February 23, 2009

Comfort food

Mulling over my chicken and sawi (mustard greens) in broth with rice over dinner today, it suddenly hit me that what I took to be comfort food was broadly divided into 2 categories; there's the "I-want-to-be-comforted" comfort food and the "I-am-comfortable" comfort food. This is a breakthrough! I had always thought that comfort food meant eating to comfort myself when in actual fact it isn't!

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. When I want creamy or dairy foods such as carbonara, cheese, chocolate and ice cream, I'm usually in a fairly upbeat mood hence the I-am-comfortable happy feeling that goes with it. However, when I'm in need of some TLC and am feeling pensive or sullen, I tend to swing towards porridge, soup noodles, earl grey tea or clear herb broth. There have been days when I forgo my usual staple at certain eateries because I'm simply 'not in the mood' for it even if it happens to be my favourite dish on the menu. When I'm anxious, I tend towards chewy things rather than crunchy and when I'm excited I tend to reach for more sour things. When I am truly anxious or otherwise preoccupied, I either eat nothing or eat anything (so far oranges, cherry tomatoes, guavas and aubergines have slipped through the net in this manner) because my brain forgets to filter that I don't like it cos it's so worked up about other issues.

Now I am feeling really happy because all of a sudden I can tell what kind of mood I'm in by the food my glands crave after :) It'll definitely be a step closer to knowing which direction my mind has subconsciously taken and whether it is sated or disgruntled. I might also try manipulate my own feelings to work towards a more desirable balance of emotions through my stomach.

The way to a woman's heart is (also) through her stomach. As long as you can tell what her stomach desires. The days I say "no" to chocolate are winge-worthy, down-in-the-dumps days.

As if it is easier than telling what her mind is going on about.

No comments: