Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My true love gave to me (Kuching Special)

I did say I was working on something special the last few days. I believe for (real) Kuching people, it will prove a particularly sweet note. Sing to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas.
See below for a glossary.

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

A big bowl of char siu kolo mee!


On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!


On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

FIVE-layered teh-si-peng! 4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

6 kampua mees, 5-layered teh-si-peng! 4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

7 red eyes, 6 kampua mees, 5-layered teh-si-peng! 4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!


On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

8 woh teahs, 7 red eyes, 6 kampua mees, 5-layered teh-si-peng! 4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

9 mee poks, 8 woh teahs, 7 red eyes, 6 kampua mees, 5-layered teh-si-peng! 4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!


On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

10 mangolimes, 9 mee poks, 8 woh teahs, 7 ed eyes, 6 kampua mees, 5-layered teh-si-peng! 4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!


On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

11 mee suas, 10 mangolimes, 9 mee poks, 8 woh teahs, 7 red eyes, 6 kampua mees, 5-layered teh-si-peng! 4 choki-chokis, 3 lui chas, 2 white ladies and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!


(Crescendo) On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me....


12 Sarawak laksas
11 mee suas
10 mangolimes
9 mee poks
8 woh teahs
7 red eyes
6 kampua mees
5-layered teh-si-peng!
4 choki-chokis
3 lui chas
2 white ladies...

and a big bowl of char siu kolo mee!!!

===========================================

Glossary (not alphabetical):

Laksa: Bi hun (or mee hun, depending on dialect) cooked in sour/spicy coconut soup served with belacan and lime.

Belacan: Prawn paste

Mee sua: Traditional Foochow soup noodles. Especially popular among grandmothers to feed grandchildren because the long strings of noodles represent long life and long ties with family.

Mangolime: An ice blended drink served in a bowl. Has lime, chendol and jelly in it among other things.

Mee pok: Pok means 'flat' in Hokkien. self explanatory.

Woh teah: Pan fried meat dumplings eaten with garlic and soy sauce.

Red eye: Not conjunctivitis. A drink with sweetened milk, rose syrup and lychees thrown together. Hawker stalls' version of a mocktail.

Kampua mee: Another Foochow dish. Noodles tossed in sesame oil and garnished with pork and spring onions.

5-layered teh-si-peng: Iced milk tea with 5 layers. The best thing to hit Kuching since kolo mee.

Choki-choki: Poor man's version of chocolate mousse.

Lui cha: Chopped vegetables served with bitter soup.

White lady: Another road side mocktail. This time with pineapple and lychee.

Kolo mee: You are not a Kuchingite of you've not eaten Kolo mee. You are also not a Kuchingite if you don't know where the dinosaur rock is located.

3 comments:

.pRisSs@Li-Ning. said...

Pening~!!

this post just makes me hungry all over again..!! lol

VonsteriZed BadaQ said...

wahhahahaha!!! i really respect ur patience in editing those pictures man.. hahahaha..

j o e l said...

where's the kueh chap?! tomato mee?! open air siobee?