Friday, April 20, 2007

The Return of The Promise

MY HEART IS FILLED WITH THANKFULNESS

To Him who bore my pain;
Who plumbed the depths of my disgrace
And gave me life again;
Who crushed my curse of sinfulness,
And clothed me with His light,
And wrote His law of righteousness
With power upon my heart.

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To Him who walks beside;
Who floods my weaknesses with strength
And causes fears to fly;

Whose every promise is enough
For every step I take
Sustaining me with arms of love
And crowning me with grace.

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To Him who reigns above;
Whose wisdom is my perfect peace,
Whose every thought is love.
For every day I have on earth
Is given by the King.
So I will give my life, my all,
To love and follow Him.

Keith Getty & Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2003 Thankyou Music


Whose every promise is enough for every step I take. Yeah, that's what I wanted to talk about the other day but sometimes the most important things can only truly be understood when not spoken. I said sometimes. There are other times when the most important thing must be said, else the other person who may never have heard of this very important thing, may never know it, having never heard it and so will never understand. I'm still trying to answer the "What about the guy who lives in the Amazon?" that some ask when 'demanding' who God chooses to save. I say demanding because if they were so concerned that God could have such an impact on anyone's lives, including theirs, they would repent and call Christ Lord. Yet they use that one question as an excuse not to accept Christ as their Lord, trying to find loopholes with God's judgment, as if it can be brandished before God as a 'right' not to be separated from Him forever.

I am on the verge of leaping with nothing but faith to cushion my fall, if I do fall. On the one hand, I have nothing to lose because everything I need and everything that is worth counting, I cannot lose. On the other hand, as I look back and see faces I will be 'leaving behind' the responsible, take-charge side of me wonders if they will be okay. It's not faith to go that I need; I'm raring to go. Let me out of the starter's block and I'll be off in a flash. What I need is faith to leave. Foolish girl, many might shout or mock or insult. To be frank, I don't care much for destructive criticism. Well, I might bear grudges but they won't stop me from doing what I want to do. It is when those criticisms fall on my family that I might snap. If someone should tell my dad that he didn't do a good job in bringing me up properly because I don't have a 4-figure salary or a car or (heaven forbid) a boyfriend or imply in any way that my parents are failures because their daughter is off in some remote country trying to proclaim the kingship of some 'moral dude' who lived 2000 years ago instead of climbing the corporate ladder, I really don't know how I would react. My parents will probably take it in their stride as they have all these years but I'll be boiling over like a volcano that's got a boulder stuck at the top and then who knows when I'll explode?

At times like this, I remember that God's promise is enough for every step I take and the best thing is that His promise will not return empty. The promised Messiah came. The promised King will come.

By the way, I did the test AGAIN and I'm back to being an ENTJ.

No comments: