Friday, April 27, 2007

Hands off, feet off

Picture from thesaddleryshop.co.uk

The stirrup is necessary for maintaining balance and posture and to a certain extent control whilst riding. In the last few lessons I've been taught to ride 'hands off' which means no hands on the rein or neckstrap or saddle. Next week, I will begin riding without stirrups to gain more control and perspective of how my body sits on the horse. I won't be allowed to hold on to anything either. My shins and calves will be doing all the work gripping on. It will be one bumpy ride, my horse is tall and I'm prepared to fall... although if don't, it will be fantastic and hopefully in 3 more lessons, I'll be allowed to trot onto the circuit.

This is what I hope to do one day...

Picture by Emile Wessels at www.ewessels.com

No comments: