Friday, March 16, 2007

Spartan Glory - no obvious spoilers

Gerard Butler as King Leonidas in 300

Frank Miller is slowly but surely climbing the hierarchy of 'people I hold in esteem,' not that he would care to be held in esteem by yours truly. Although I may not be a comic fan, the storylines he has chosen to adapt, of flawed yet noble creatures, living in the vortex of psychological depth that form the bass rhythm that walks upon each page, strike a very clear chord in me, almost awakening something I want to be but can never achieve in a world governed by natural laws of physics, chemisty and biology. Yet the desire to go as far as I can within the morals that restrain me is still there, raging against a body that cannot fulfill what the mind wants. To that end, I emerse myself in the imaginary; a world of Kill Bills, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, mutants, dragons and Greek mythology and legend. But enough of the 'Who am I?' talk, Frank Miller's adaptation and Zack Snyder's direction of the historical event, Battle of Thermopylae, has more than satisfied the expectations I had for this film. A big fan of anything Greek (including the cheese) I had various points in my head, that in my opinion the movie had to demonsrate in order to be Spartan-isque and I was not disappointed. The totalitaran and utilitarian culture adopted, undisputed military prowess and tactics, the distinct social standing of women, the agoge and krypteia and even the importance of the Spartans' oral tradition was either directly or implicitly included.

To those who care not for serial decapitation or oiled men in loincloth (think Kill Bill meet the Gladiator) , this movie is not for you. However, if you are interested in Greek history and heroes, a heart pounding time and 10 bucks worth spending, go watch it. There were times during the movie I thought a panic attack was about to hit; it was that good! Being the animal-crazed person I am, there are some awesome shots of the power of horses in movement, three elephants, a giant wolf and a rhinocerous. All in all, a movie I would definitely watch again.

No comments: