Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Chavvies

Heard Marcus had a chav night for his birthday. It's sad when I go "Am I bovvered?" to people here as a joke because it's a joke they don't get. Hehehehehe. But people here get lots of things people in London don't. Words like p'rasan, choi and manok don't have the same ring to it trnaslated into English. As I'll be getting Internet access AT HOME soon, life will be smoother, communication, though always wrought with misunderstanding will be faster (so we can miscommunicate faster and make the world a worse place than it already is) and the world will seem smaller. I have written out my gift list for people in London and my gift list for people in Malaysia for when I come back. I like giving presents. It's fun. People don't have to say thank you; I like watching people enjoy the present or hearing that they enjoyed it. That's enough for me. It means somehow, I have played a tiny part in making their day/ week/ year just a little nicer even if they might take the present for granted after a few minutes.

I spend more hours awake than I do asleep. Wow. How did that happen? I got a job. Am now a Hilton employee and have a hilton uniform and Hilton badge and eat Hilton food... I work and study in college enough hours a week (a week, not a day) for me not to have to face the blazing hot sun for more than 15 minutes a day. That is good news. But the gospel is better news. I never thought that I would have a problem proclaiming the gospel in Malaysia. Maybe because I left it when I was too young to understand politics. Maybe the problem has always been there. I don't want to be a coward. I don't want to be silenced just because I don't believe in what the majority believes in. But how far am I willing to go? If the consequences were only to me, somehow, it makes it my problem, if any do arise, in a way, my fight, my life. But it's not my life or my fight. It's not even a fight against the rulers of this world, as the Bible says, but against the principalities that govern the human heart; greed, lust, malice, self-righteousness, pride, sin, the devil. I can only be equipped to fight whatever God may ask me to do. I may not even be asked to be confrontational for my entire lifetime but that's not the point. The point is that I will be ready when I am called. That I will be prepared when I am sent. I suppose that's what being focused is partly about. Not looking to the right or the left, not looking to see how many casualties have fallen in history or how many could fall or even how many there are left. But to fight the good fight, the best fight we can fight for God and His glory that we may finish the race, that when we receive our crowns, we would not regret not having done more.

I am increasingly aware that media law is changing dramatically and media access is like no other time has ever been. I know that my words written may be viewed by anyone at anytime and might even be taken out of context. It might even be used against me and against God's people. When i talk about armies and battle, I could easily be misinterpreted. Called a fundamentalist, whatever that means. I believe the Bible is fundamental. Does that make me a fundamentalist? The Bible calls us to be innocent but shrewd. I might have to rethink how I blog and what I blog about. I might have to go back to maaass emails (oh no! think of all the thousands of kB you'll get in your files if I have your email add... hehehe). I started with chavvies but my train of thought is rather far away from whether it's a fashion faux paux to wear pink or fake burberry tracksuits from head to toe.

No comments: