Monday, August 07, 2006

Work; a chasing after the wind?

Ecclesiastes 2: 10 - 11
I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;

I refused my heart no pleasure.

My heart took delight in all my work,

and this was the reward for all my labor.


Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done

and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless,
a chasing after the wind;

nothing was gained under the sun.


Am currently looking for work and in London, you would think that there will be no shortage of jobs - the land of opportunity and glory. However, there are little niggles that play a part in limiting job openings namely my qualifications, how big my pond is, how fast I can swim and whether I have any interest in the said job at all. Not every fish likes worms. Some fish eat other fish. If I were a fish, I'd be a pike. You might think that as a law graduate, I would have ample opportunity to go into city firms and become one of those pin-striped people of black, blue, grey or city yuppies forbid... red, but I really don't want to be another skittle in a box (even though London is a very nice box with high street shopping and kebab diners). Furthermore, I would like to enjoy my job, not just do it for having a job's sake. Being a solicitor (pin-striped lawyer) is extremely rewarding for some and for the right person, it could be a dream come true but having a computer in front of me and a keyboard at my fingertips the whole day without the satisfaction of at least a daily bout of Tetris or Solitaire would be like having a cup of water under my nose in the desert. I would rather not tempt fate to 'try be good' than getting the boot for running round the block screaming that I'd conquered the 14th level of Super Tetris. Heads will turn, not in admiration over my strategic abilities to lead my blocks to certain victory but that I had been playing Tetris at all. Maybe my aggression could be taken out on a job that involved physical activity or debating, which brings me to my second law option; the wig-wearing kind known as the barrister. I think it would be fun to be a barrister. However, I think I'll need to restrain myself from placing random facts in the case just to make it sound less boring. Cos, until I turn 50 odd, cases will probably be boring, draining and mind-numbing. My brain gets numbed by my regular headaches enough every week, month, whatever. I don't need more mind-numbing exercises.

I have thought of applying to teach English in Japan next year and have so far looked at several websites for this. Prospects are looking good; I get paid, lodging, travel etc etc but one or two tiny details makes me think, "Uegh??" Working on Sundays for one. 37 lessons in 5 days the other. I think given the Japanese etiquette of working, I could be working from 6am til 11pm.
I like the fast-paced life but I think there're people out there who forget that there're other people out there who can't run as fast. I'm a sprinter. If you want me to go long-distance, get me an MPV (multi purpose vehicle) then I'll show you how to step up the gas.

So yes, basically I am unemployed - whoopee! I never thought that saying that would sound so uplifting. I used to think that the day I said that my butt would be down in the dumps and I'd be a mopey wreck but I'm not :) I'm quite liking this almost-hippie situation I'm in. So I live in a house instead of the park and don't play the bongos but when I move to Mongolia, remind me to get dreadlocks.

No comments: